Jonathan M. Shiff
Country of origin
July 26, 2013 (first 13 episodes)
September 15, 2013 (second 13 episodes)
Mako Mermaids is an Australian television program for children, pre-teens and teenagers, and is a spin-off of H2O: Just Add Water. The series, announced in July 2011, is produced by Jonathan M. Shiff in association with Nickelodeon. The show was originally titled Mako: Islands of Secrets, but was later changed to Mako Mermaids. Then the title changed again to Secret of Mako Island and back to "Mako Mermaids" again. Mako Mermaids will debut on Friday 26th of July, 2013 in the US, Canada, UK, Latin America and other provided countries on Netflix.
Australian television station TV Ten will also debut Mako Mermaids on July 26th, 2013.
Disney Channel (US) has picked up the series, with the pilot aired on January 18, 2016 at 5pm (Eastern), E#1-6 back-to-back, according to Disney Channel promotional ads, and a cute "Disney Mako" logo, that began playing over the last weekend in December 2015. No further information or news postings have been located via search, Disney or Shiff websites as of the 30th of December
A boy is magically turned a merman, and discovers his underwater origins, after he comes in contact with the magic waters at the mysterious Mako Island guarded by a trio of mermaids.
Listings (Disney Channel)
- All times are Eastern time zone.
- Disney's Mako "pilot week" (18+ Jan.2016): Charter cable listings: S1E1-6(Mon. debut) then 1/day Tue-Fri@7:30pm, the previous day's@7:30pm replayed the next day at 7pm (starting Wed), then #1-2 replayed Sat@10+1030am, #3-4 replayed Sun@10:30+11am, #5-6 replayed Sun@10+10:30pm.
- Disney's 2nd Mako week (25+ Jan.2016): Charter cable listings: Episodes replay on Mon-Thurs@7:30pm, Tue-Fri@2:30pm, Sat@9:30+10am, Sun@2pm+2:30pm. Fri@7:30pm is Disney's "New, HD" time.
- Disney's 3rd Mako week (01+ Feb.2016): Charter cable listings: Episodes alreay aired replay on M-F@2pm, Mon-Wed@7:30pm, Sat@09am+0930am+10am+10:30am, Fri@7:30pm+10:45pm is Disney's "New, HD" time. Disney Channel listing errors on Charter Communications Digital Cable Listings for 04Feb2016: Use online listings. Charter Communciations Digital Cable Listings are Wrong ... a Lot!!!
- Disney's 4th Mako week (08+ Feb.2016): Charter cable listings: Episodes alreay aired replay on Mon-Tue@2pm, Sat@09am+0930am+10am+10:30am, where Fri@7:30pm is Disney's "New, HD" time.
- Disney Channel's 5th Mako week has cut back the daily time slots for Mako, 2pm only Mon-Tue, 7:30pm "new" on Fridays, 9-10am Saturday, and the next week is only Fri@7:30pm and Sat@11-1200... guess they didn't have enough veiwers from the first weeks.
- After that it's just Fri@7:30pm only. They sometimes put on Saturday episode showings, but later abandon that.
- Charter Communciations Digital Cable Listings are Wrong A Lot about listings, even episode info, Disney Channel and Mako Mermaids included. Instead, use http://tvschedule.zap2it.com/tv/mako-mermaids/EP02104436?aid=tvschedule.
- As a non-Disney "Netflix production" it looks like there will not be a 'Disney On Demand' viewing option, which would likely be a competition to Netflix or Nickelodeon.
- It looks a lot like Disney might not even close out the entire Mako season before hitting the "delete" key... but great that they gave Mako a shot. Hope it helps fund a follow-on series from Shiff, he's opened up the Mermaid genre like no-one ever has, and if he's here to stay, then the fans will be too, and Disney would be lucky to work with him!!!
Three mermaids: Sirena, Nixie, and Lyla, are assigned with the task of protecting their magical Mako Island from trespassers, only to be thwarted by the arrival of a 16 year old land-dweller Zac Blakely – who forms a special connection with the island and is granted a blue fish-like tail and amazing marine powers. Threatened by his existence, the mermaid pod are forced to move away, abandoning Sirena, Nixie, and Lyla, who in a bid for survival, must get legs, venture onto land, and take back Zac's powers or risk being outcasts forever.
A new mermaid named Ondina arrives and is afraid that Zac Blakely is a threat to mermaid pods everywhere, but what she doesn't realize is that there is another merman in addition to Zac in town called Erik bent on seizing Mako Island for himself.
- Brooke Nicole Lee, Gemma Forsyth, Dominic Deutscher, Amy Ruffle, Chai Romruen, Kerith Atkinson and Rowan Hills are confirmed to be returning for season 2.
- Lucy Fry and Ivy Latimer will not be returning for season 2.
- Isabel "Issi" Durant has been confirmed to be joining the cast for it's second season as Ondina.
- Canadian Actress, Allie Bertram has been confirmed to be joining the cast for it's second season as Mimmi.
- Actor/Model Alex Cubis has been confirmed to be joining the cast as Erik.
- Later on one Twitter user tweeted that there will be a conection between past mermaids of H2O and now Mako Mermaids, so please bring back H2O mermaids and Jonathan retweeted "Yes. Good guess! :)"
- Jonathan tweeted that they met on Monday on 6th January with the main cast.
- Filming for Season 2 is planned to wrap up in July 2014, according to the article on Gold Coast Bulletin.com
- Evie will become a mermaid this season according to Jonathan M. Shiff twitter photo where there are Sirena, Mimmi, Ondina and Evie in Moon Pool.
- It has been confirmed that Ondina and Erik will be a couple. Both Alex Cubis and Isabel Durant tweeted that it is their last day of filming with their "onscreen lover" and "mermate".
- It is not known if Evie will get a moon ring, due to all the mermaids have a moon ring.
- It has been said by Jonathan M. Shiff that the release date for the first half of Season 2 will be in January 2015.
Season 3 will air in 2016.
Weilan, a teenage Chinese mermaid, discovers a mysterious relic underwater and releases a terrifying water dragon. Weilan flees to Mako for sanctuary but the dragon follows. When the fearsome creature threatens not only the Mako pod but the Gold Coast, Ondina, Mimmi and Weilan must find a way to destroy the dragon before it destroys all that they have worked so hard to save.
The series was at first titled Mako: Island of Secrets, but was then re-titled to Mako Mermaids and later to Secret of Mako Island. As of March 2013, the series is again titled Mako Mermaids per its first trailer.
Season 1 consisted of twenty-six episodes that are each twenty-six to thirty minutes. Filming began in April 2012, but was postponed to the beginning of May 2012. On 8 May 2012, Shiff Productions announced the principal cast and the start of the shoot. Filming ran through 12 October 2012.
- Mimmi (Allie Bertram):Mimmi is a northern mermaid immigrated to the Gold Coast where she became part of the Mako Pod. She has knowledge of various potions and spells. In "Reunion", she and Zac find out that they are actually long-lost siblings.
- Ondina (Isabel Durant): Ondina is a mermaid from the Mako Pod. She's a reckless girl who takes things into her own hands, but is learning to care for others with gentleness.
- Zac Blakely (Chai Romruen): Zac is 16 years old and is the main character of Mako Mermaids. He goes camping on Mako Island, than falls into the Moon Pool which causes him to receive long lost merman powers. Zac is sporty and grew up surfing. Zac's powers include the ability to move objects with the mind, and the ability to control water with the mind, as well as expanding it and molding it into a variety of shapes. Zac later finds out he was born a merman and his true connection to Mako.
- Lyla (Lucy Fry): Lyla and her mermaid friends, Nixie and Sirena, watch everything Zac does on Mako Island. Lyla develops feelings for Zac, and will be the rebel mermaid. She is the fiery mermaid, and she's very determined and passionate. Season 1 Lyla has returned to the pod.
- Nixie (Ivy Latimer): Nixie and her mermaid friends, Sirena and Lyla, watch everything Zac does on Mako Island. Nixie is very adventurous and loves playing around and sometimes gets in trouble because she can't stay still. She and Cam have good chemistry together. Season 1 Nixie has returned to the pod.
- Sirena (Amy Ruffle): Sirena and her mermaid friends, Nixie and Lyla, watch everything Zac does on Mako Island. They are in the Moon Pool when he activates a hidden Island room that drops him into the Moon Pool during a full moon, which causes him to become a merman. Sirena provides the Moon Ring in which gets the girls legs. She is the mediator and peacekeeper between Lyla and Nixie. She's a beautiful soul and a bit naive, but that can work her to disadvantage. They attack him at school which causes him to become a merman which is observed by the principal, who is then aware of their existence since she is also a cast-out mermaid due to falling in love with a mortal man. In Season 2, Sirena has returned to her pod, but is forced to return to Mako Island when Mimmi and Ondina go against the council's will to try and remove Zac's powers.
- Cam (Dominic Deutscher): Cam is Zac's best friend, and appears to be a lifeguard. He knows about Zac's secret, and knows that Nixie, Sirena, and Lyla are mermaids. He has always been Zac's equal, but things change when Zac becomes a merman. Towards the end of the season, after Zac locked the Trident away again, Cam convinced Nixie to help him reopen the Trident chamber and pull it out yet again. In episode 26, "Decision Time", it is revealed that Cam's real purpose and intent all along was to steal the Trident and gain a merman tail for himself so that he could rule over Mako Island. Although this secret plot changed the nature of Zac and Cam's relationship as best mates, in season 2, Zac and Cam begin to work things out. After becoming a couple with Carly, Cam comes to accept his role as a land dweller and chooses loyalty over power.
- Evie (Gemma Forsyth): Evie is Zac's girlfriend, and feels Zac is hiding something and so she tries to discover it.She initially breaks up with Zac because he won't reveal what is going on with him and because she thinks Zac is cheating on her with Lyla. Evie finds out Zac is a merman in Episode 25 "Betrayed". They have apparently been dating for 8 months, but have been close to each other since they were six years old. Evie evidently gains a mermaid tail in Season 2 because she comes to the moon pool during a full moon. Her courage and acceptance of her role as a mermaid leads to her initiation into the pod.
- Rita Santos (Kerith Atkinson): Rita is the school principal, and also happens to be a mermaid. She has long given up life of the ocean, but when three young mermaids appear in her life, she begins to find companionship with them, albeit reluctantly. She first witnesses the girls attacking Zac outside in public in a very abrupt way, right in the middle of school grounds, exposing them and their powers to her. She is a full mermaid, previously cast out of her pod when she loved and was engaged to a mortal man, who died before they wed. She sees the girls' ignorance and lack of mermaid education as wreckless and dangerous to themselves and all mermaids everywhere. Girls need education to be able to navigate the world smartly and seek their goals without getting into trouble.
- David (Rowan Hills): David is the boy-next-door - cute, honest, matter-of-fact, and always happy to help out. David works at his dad's cafe business. His family owns the Ocean Cafe and are well liked in the local community. There's instant puppy-love chemistry between David and Season 2 and also Sirena being one of them in the season finale.
- Carly (Brooke Nicole Lee): Carly is an employee at the Ocean Cafe. She has feelings for David and she is Evie's best friend.
- Neppy (Angourie Rice): she is also a mermaid and she wants to capture the merman zac and finds out there is two mermen.
- Finn (James Dalton Simmons): James is a merman who was found a baby merman by Narrissa who is zac and mimmi's mother she allows him to be part of the pod he is good friend's with Mimmi,Ondina,Sirena,and new mermaid Weilen. He is featured in seasons 2 and 3.
- Zac's powers are Speed Swimming, Telekinesis, Hydrokinesis, Hydro-Thermokinesis, Invisibility and Volume Reduction.
- Lyla's powers are Speed Swimming, Telekinesis, Hydrokinesis, Hydro-Thermokinesis, Invisibility, Hydro-Cryokinesis, Aerokinesis and Volume Reduction.
- Sirena's powers are Speed Swimming, Telekinesis, Invisibility, Hydrokinesis, Hydro-Thermokinesis, Siren Singing and Atmokinesis.
- Nixie's powers are Speed Swimming, Telekinesis, Invisibility, Hydrokinesis, Hydro-Thermokinesis, Volume Reduction, Electrokinesis and Atmokensis
- This is the second series Lucy Fry has the main role in that is created by Jonathan M. Shiff. The first was Lightning Point (Alien Surf Girls in US).
- Lucy Fry made a cameo in the last episode of Season 3 in H2O. Her name was announced at the graduation ceremony and she was seen in the audience.
- In H2O: Just Add Water the mermaids each had lockets or crystals, but in Mako Mermaids the mermaids will have Moon Rings in a shape of a tail.
- Mako Mermaids will make connections to H2O: Just Add Water. Things such as "the past mermaids" or "the mermaids before us" will probably be mentioned. There is a rumor that the show will tell how the moonpool was revived since its destruction in the finale of H2O. However, that is unlikely, as the moonpool is not the same as the one in H2O.
- Season 2 has been confirmed for a 2014/2015 release.
- Dom Deutscher (Cam) guest starred in the H2o episode 'The Siren Effect' as one of the boys that fell in love with Cleo because of her voice.
- It was confirmed by Amy Ruffle via twitter that her character (Sirena) will have a sister, played by Jenna Rosenow.
- It is still unknown how natural mermaids got into Mako Island
- The Moon Pool in this series is completely different than the one in H2O.
- If mermaids have been living on Mako Island for a long period of time, it is a possibility that this series takes place many years after H2O: Just Add Water.
- There will be a hidden mermaid cave in Rita's house.
- The show will make some connections to H2O, probably things such as the mermaids before them, but they will not mention names. There is a rumor that they might say how the Moon Pool was revived since it was destroyed in H2O.
- In Australia, the series is known as Mako: Island of Secrets instead of Mako Mermaids.
- In Episode 5, "Blizzard", it is revealed that the Nixie, Lyla, and Sirena are southern mermaids, meaning they frequent the South Pacific, so they have never had any experience with snow. When they do come into contact with snow, they develop Snow Rash, which is treated with dried seahorse powder.